Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Sunday, October 11, 2009

U is for...

U is for Ungodly desires to knit wedding-ring lace!  So for some reason (as I told Lara, it might be because I am an effing masochist) I have had a recent desire to knit some lace.  And if you are going to knit lace, and you already have a stole that has needed to be blocked for like 2yrs, why not go all out an knit something spectacular?  Aha! wedding-ring lace.



Now, if you are knot familiar with the term, wedding-ring lace (Shetland lace or Orenburg shawls if your lingo is regionally-based) is a huge lace shawl that is so fine that you can pull it through your wedding ring.  Usually you knit lace projects on sock-weight yarn and worsted weight needles.  To get it extra-fine, you usually use cobweb yarn- and no, that term is not made up.  Cobweb yarn looks like sewing thread or hair, no joke.  Yea, this is big-boy lace.  For real.  (sigh)  You can now see why I call myself an effing masochist.




I think this idea has been brewing since I saw the above rose shawl from A Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara Walker.  Lara saw the thistle design first, but I am torn between the two (thanks, Yarn Rambles for letting me steal your images!).  But seriously! Wouldn't this idea be just the best thing ever?!!?!! Though I really need to start now so it will be finished before my fifth anniversary (and for visitors to my blog, no, I am not even engaged yet!).  :)

No comments: