Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hello Again!

Well, it's been a grueling seven weeks, but I have once again survived Summer Camp.  For those of you confused about my absence for two months, I work with the local community service board providing Therapeutic Day Treatment for children in the school system.  During the summer, we run a day camp to continue services to these kids.  Yes, it all sounds like a bunch of fun when you think back to your own childhood summer camp adventures.... but you were the camper then, not the counselor.  Now, with that mental adjustment, also think of being a counselor to children who are medically diagnosed with hyperactivity and defiance disorders (among various others as well).  Let's just say, it's about four tons of stress in a two-pound bag.  Not to slander our kids too much, I should admit that the "good" days can be lots of fun; we take them swimming and to the skating rink, do crafts, and watch movies.  But when our kids decide to have "bad" days.... (shudder).  'Nuff said.  On top of all that, our days are MUCH longer than we get paid for and we don't get any  breaks at all.  (Because if you scamper off to use the restroom, who is watching the kids now?)  Having not done any marathons personally, I can only liken it to running the Iditarod... without dogs.... or shoes.... or sleep... while still trying to maintain "therapeutic" reactions to the children's bad attitudes.

That being explained, I AM NOW FREE!!!  I only have to work this upcoming week, then I can use my overtime to take a long vacation.  And then school starts at the end of August.  Woohoo!  Who would've thought that a person would be happy to see the school year approaching?  Haha.

No comments: