Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Life Musings

I seem to be going through a bit of a rough patch in my life-- the Thursday before school started back in August, my (former) boss calls me up and tells me that I am moving sites... back to the high school.  The understatement of the year is that I was not thrilled with the idea.  I was really excited to start a new school year in the same place that I was last school year, and I was really liking  my client age-group and my coworkers over at the elementary school.  The high school staff and I aren't really the best of friends, and you just have to ask anyone working with teenagers: they are a tough crowd.  Now, add on mental diagnoses, histories of abuse, and total apathy for their futures, and you have our special teenagers.

So now I am stuck in limbo with stupid company politics determining my future.  I've been told that the company is doing the best they can; but, let's be real, I am not high on the priority list when regulations are changing, the economy is tanking, and our billing just got audited.   :/   I am trying to be positive, but when faced with glaring proof that your company does not give a rat's ass about you, it is rather hard.  I know I'm not special, but they don't have to rub my nose in it.

On the flip side, the caving program is back up & running!  White nose syndrome had put all caving on hold so scientists could figure out what was killing the bats and how we could prevent spreading the disease.  If I am remembering correctly, it's been about two years since any caving was allowed up and down the east coast.  BUT! Now the NSS has put out safety measures and restrictions on recreational caving groups that would allow small parties inside the caves.  The Girl Scout program I help staff is going to be taking a (very!) small group of experienced girls this October up to West Virginia to see if these restrictions are manageable.  Usually, we have about 40-60 girls with about a dozen "rookies" that take trips twice a year.  This fall, I think we are taking only about 25 girls total, with LOTS of staff to supervise.  Hopefully, this trip will go well and we will soon  be able to resume regular trips!  Yay!

No comments: