Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Sunday, September 14, 2008

R is for ...

R is for Really Cool Cake! okay... I totally cheated on this one, but I have no clue what to do for R. Plus, I am late for the post, so I am rushed and have no time to be creative. I was, however, creative for John's birthday cake. See?

I got the idea from Geek Crafts's list of Geeky Baked Goods. Take a look; some of them are quite skilled, even if you might not necessarily want it for your own birthday cake. So having seen all that, I said to myself, "Self," (and I knew it was me because I recognized the voice) "an original Nintendo controller is just a plain rectangle, much like a 13x9 cake pan. I think we can do a fancy icing job on a regular cake and make it something special for his birthday." (Don't get me started on shopping for John's birthday! It is impossible to get him gifts!)

He had already decided on red velvet cake and white icing, so I got some spray black tinting for the main section... and that was the easiest part, let me tell you. What got tricky was the details. I went to Michael's and got some red and white pipe-able (squeezable?) fondant instead of regular fondant because they only sell fondant by the pound and I really only needed a few ounces... let me just say fondant a few more times: fondant fondant fondant. Trying to be clever, I piped out the white buttons and let them dry and harden overnight so I could manipulate them like candies rather than like wet icing. I'm still not sure if that was the easiest way to do it, but that's the way it happened.

Assembling it all was the tricky part. The fondant squares were brittle like spun sugar, so they had a tendency to crack and raise my blood pressure. By the time I had assembled everything and piped on the red A/B buttons, I was ready to call it a day. I did NOT feel like trying to write with the icing.... John actually did all the writing when he got home. But even he did not feel like tackling the "Nintendo" that is supposed to be in the upper right corner of the controller.

All in all, I feel that I did rather well for my first foray into cake decorating. And besides, as John said, we all know that I am not a professional cake artist, so as long as it tastes ok, then everything else is inconsequential. (See why I love him?)

No comments: