Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Copyright Infringement?

I finally sat down and reverse engineered my Thirty-One Skirt Purse this weekend!  It definitely wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be!!  I made a permanent pattern (heavy-duty, made from PVC), finished two new skirts, cursed minimally, destroyed nothing, and gave up not once in several hours!!  ... I know I am using a lot of exclamation points, but I am really excited.  :D   A sewing project where I don't curse the paint off the walls, destroy my project, or give up (usually with a strong desire to light the project on fire) is a rare occurrence.  I have the basic sewing skills needed to get me through life; it is neither easy nor relaxing for me to tackle a tricky project.  BUT!! This one worked!

31 Skirt Purse
Here are all the skirts I have now.  I think I've decided to become the crazy lady with the seasonal bags.  It's so easy to change them out!

I measured the fabric needed to make one skirt, and it takes less than 1/2 yard of 44inch wide fabric.  That means even expensive fabric is not expensive to buy for this project.  First, though, I used some of the left-overs from making the comforter cover a few weeks ago as a "test run."  I didn't want to ruin anything as I worked out the kinks of the pattern.  Though, I think it looks awesome and I'm keeping it as a real skirt, not just as a mock-up.

31 Skirt Purse

After the test run, I drew my pattern onto the PVC and cut out a permanent pattern.... that will last forever!  (John brought me the PVC scrap from his work for another project of mine, but there was enough extra to make a pattern for the purse.)  Then came the real question: could I make a functional skirt from the pattern I had just made?  I had found in my stash this cute bat fabric and wanted to show it off for all my caver friends next month.  This was the main focus of the afternoon...  and I think I succeeded!

31 Skirt Purse

As I said before, I think I'm going to start accumulating half-yards of fabric to make as many skirts as I can.  Change my purse every few weeks!  It's only copyright infringement if I sell the pattern, right?  Maybe I should look into that.   :)  To counterbalance, let me say that you should look up your local Thirty-One consultant (like Tupperware, Mary Kay, or Pampered Chef) and see the great bags they have!  It's delightful!

7 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

Nice purses!

Happy blogoversary :)

Anonymous said...

you say you cant sale it but can youi share it with those of us on a meager income who cannot afford the skirts can send to carlaholley1@yahoo.com

Janeil said...

Are you willing to share your pattern?

Kayla said...

If your willing to share your pattern could you send it to me kaylapennell@yahoo.com. I have been looking all over for one to try, I have very basic sewing skills so I definitely need a pattern. Thanks :)

Unknown said...

I love this purse!! If you're willing to share can you send me a copy of the pattern?? I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks, email address is: Debw725@Gmail.com

Anne said...

Friends, I have already posted my pattern on my blog: http://knittybatty.blogspot.com/2011/05/purses.html.

I'm not emailing anybody anything special, because I don't use anything more than that PVC pattern in the picture. If you have a skirt purse of your very own, do what I did and pop open a few seams to draw a pattern. The small skirt is pretty basic to put back together.

Sandi Kubler said...

Sandi in South Carolina - Hi there, I have been searching and searching the web for a thirty-one skirt purse pattern and instructions! Oh please would you share your pattern and how you make it? I can't believe I actually found someone who has done one! (or in your case, lots!) Thanks and God Bless
PS-I too tend to curse the paint off the walls when attempting something new!!