Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Monday, May 5, 2008

Yay Us!

Mom and I were so good this weekend; I am very proud of us. We spent Saturday fixing, mending, and organizing cave gear (yes, it does take about a week to go through all the washing of gear; it's all very dirty). I finished putting the ripstop nylon patches in my new fitting coveralls, and I dropped the waist on my new long john pants (some pairs I could literally pull the waistband up over my boobs... waaaay to high for me). Then, Mom wanted me to do some mending of her gear, so I fixed her long john pants, too (too-tight ankle cuffs), and made her some fleece vests. It's always good to have a warm vest or something to put on in a cave in case you/ someone else gets chilled. The secret to speleo-temperature management is motion: active, mobile groups create lots of body heat and everyone stays warm. If you aren't exerting yourself much, you can get chilled really fast (the average North American cave temperature is 53 degrees F ... with no sunshine to warm things and cold rocks under your butt). So yes, we now are equipped with the best of fleecy vests and fitting long johns and indestructible coveralls. :) Life is good.

Then on Sunday, we attacked the front closet. grr! argh! Closet never stood a chance. This is the hall closet that everyone has where the winter coats get stashed... and the winter accessories, and the extra tablecloths, and the board games, and the misc tote bags, and the cameras, and the things brought from the grandparents' houses, and the leftover small-child toys, and all that random stuff you have no place for. Yea, THAT closet. But it was out first step towards our garage sale coming up this Saturday. We are getting rid of things! Yay! We have lived in the same house for almost 20 years, so the stuff has accumulated just a little bit. But Mom has admitted we have a problem, and isn't that the first step to solving it? So we are whittling away at the stuff and soon we will have a nicely organized house. I am excited, because then Mom will be able to find things and move about easily in her own house.

Remember: Garage sale next Saturday, May 10! Bring cash and a trailer! Records, board games, electronics, crafts, and books. Come one, come all.

No comments: