Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Comforter Cover

A while back, we upgraded our bed to a queen-sized mattress... which, of course, meant that we had to get all new linens and things to fit the new bed.  :(   However, Mom had an extra down comforter at her house that she did not use, and she brought it to us over the holidays.  (Thanks, Mom!)  Unfortunately, Mom had no cover that matched our color scheme, which meant that we went shopping for sheets and /or fabric to make a cover that matched our room.  I couldn't find any sheets that were exactly what I wanted, so I came up with the idea of getting two prints and making it reversible!  We got a printed sheet and then several yards of quilting cotton to finally make me happy.

Comforter Cover

I knew that making the cover would only be "hard" because of the size.  Blankets and such have to be laid out on the floor and constantly tweaked to make sure that all the layers are straight.  It's not like a garment that you can grab both sides and tug to make smooth; blankets involved one contortionist or two people to arrange!  Needless to say, the kitties LOVED the new toy I put on the floor for them.

Comforter Cover
Sliding into Home Plate.  "Am I safe?"

Comforter Cover
Leap! and Pounce!

Comforter Cover
Kitty on top vs. Kitty underneath

We finally ended up putting the kitties in "Kitty Jail"  (i.e., the bathroom behind a shut door) so that I could finish the stupid blanket!  Though it took me all afternoon (but really, what sewing project does not?), I am very happy with the outcome.  I think the cover looks great!  Even John was impressed when he saw the finished product.  :)


1 comment:

Mom said...

We picked out great fabric!