Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

G is for...


G is for gloves! So, working in a knit shop and all that, a few months ago I started this weird fascination with the sock yarns we had in stock. I swear you can't find more fun colors and patterns than in sock yarns (and you also get that really small knit stitch which I think looks so much more professional and smooth than chunky weight yarns). More specifically, I was in love with some Lorna's Laces and was desperate to use it. So, when a glove class came along at work, I jumped on board with both feet... mixing metaphors with each step.

First, I made myself a pair of fingerless gloves (which actually I am thinking of adding tips back onto, but still leaving the index bare, a la Knitty's Cigar Smoking Gloves) and then I got half-way through another pair before John demanded a pair for himself. Since all my family lives in Florida and has no need for knitted goods, I jumped at the chance to knit for someone else. So on our trip to Disney, I annoyed the heck out of him by making him try on the half-finished glove every few minutes so that the fingers would fit properly... but! he now has a pair of custom-fit gloves. So all the 13hours of grumbling was worth it. He also has a matching double-sided hat (basic cuffed beanie out of the Tofutsies sock yarn and black Misti Alpaca).

But wait! the glove saga isn't over! Mom and her running buddy thought it would be nice to have matching green gloves when they ran in the Shamrock Half-Marathon since "spring" in Tidewater VA is notoriously capricious. So I had to churn out a pair each for them as well (Pagewood Farms's hand-dyed sock yarn is so pretty). whew! Everyone at the store laughs that I know that glove pattern by heart now and don't even need to look at it anymore, or our ladies comment on how it must drive me crazy to work on such small needles (size 0). But it really isn't too bad if you are comfy with doublepoints to begin with.

So the moral of my glove story I guess is: if you want to impress people with what you are knitting, make up some gloves. They are on lots of tiny needles but they knit up fast which means they look hard but really aren't at all.
:)

No comments: