Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Monday, June 16, 2008

MOVIE REVIEW: Jumper


I was intrigued by this movie when it came out, but not enough to be extorted by the movie theatre industry. (Truth be told, I see few movies in theatres; partly because I like to go with someone and coordinating schedules is often difficult, and partly because I find few movies need the "big screen" effect. Most movies I am quite content to wait until they come out on video and then I can Netflix them.) So now it has finally been released and I got John to sit and watch it with me.

Here's the official summary:

The product of a broken home, David Rice (Hayden Christensen) is looking for a way to escape from his abusive father -- and finds it when he discovers he can teleport himself at will. Using his powers for his own gain, David creates a new life for himself, but soon is in the middle of a war that has been raging for thousands of years between "Jumpers" and those who have sworn to kill them. Director Doug Liman's sci-fi thriller also stars Samuel L. Jackson, and Rachel Bilson.

Pretty good, overall, I think. I liked it as a stupid, fun action flick. Not too much brain power needed. Other reviews panned it, but I think there is a need for fluffy action movies with no real meaning to life. I mean, not every movie can be Pi, Citizen Cane, or Roots, nor should they all try to be. I personally am very fond of movies that you can just pop in and watch for fun.

Second point: Hayden Christensen is much more attractive here than he was in the Star Wars movies. Granted in Episode III, he was not feeling his best, what with all the evil coursing through him, and Episode II was six years ago, so he has matured a bit since then... but still! I was surprised that he had changed. Maybe it's the absence of the Jedi rat-tail that adds to a person's attractiveness. :)

I also think the movie addresses a baser part of human nature, even if in a small way. David sees no need to help people with his powers, he just makes his life comfortable. There was a breakfast scene where the television news reports on mass flooding and people in peril. I naturally thought that David would pop over, rescue the people, then pop home, but he just goes on with his day (a day that includes lunch atop the Sphinx, surfing in Fiji, and picking up girls in a London pub). At first, I wondered what was wrong with him for not saving them, but when you think about it, what would the average person do? Would they risk life and limb to help others, or would they continue as usual? David only really begins the "hero" antics when he and his loved ones are attacked. Even then, you could argue that he's still not a hero, just fighting for survival. The psych major in me was amused for a while pondering this.

End result: Solid three out of five stars. I enjoyed it; there were some good lines; great effects and fight scenes; and I got to play "where are they now" for much of the movie (LOTS of international travel. I recognized the Shibuya intersection in Tokyo; and trivia says they got permission to film in the actual Colosseum - pretty cool).

No comments: