Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Continuing ABC lateness

P is for Polly! Or as we still call her, much to Mother's chagrin, Polly Gizmo. She's now a 4lb chunker! When I went home a few weekends ago, I kept laughing because she is growing into that classic sleek feline look. I got so used to her chubby baby face that she looks odd as a grown kitty. :) Though ask Mom, and she is still a crazy kitten tearing around the house! Evidence: when I entered the door, I was greeted by a stray pencil, pen, lipstick, and chap stick on the floor. Kitten likes to knock rattly things off the table and push them around the house. Silly kitty.

Polly agrees with Harvey that the cord on my camera is the best thing EVER!


Even though she goes tearing around the house like a madkitty, she still needs cozy spots to cuddle. (Apparently a basket is comfy for a tiny cat)

Harvey also taught her how to talk when she was living with us. Funny story: Mom and I were eating at the kitchen counter one night, and Polly kept hopping up on the half-wall to get on the counter with us. (She has a weird fascination with people food and gets really pushy if you don't share with her.) So, as Tiny Cat would step out onto the counter, I would "ah-ah" her off. And she would pull her paw back and say, "brrmt?" each time. Like, "darnit, why won't you let me get on the counter. I do not approve of these restrictions!" Mom was cracking up because Polly kept looking at me like the evil step-mom who wouldn't let her play.



Q is for quilt! While in Tokyo, I got a packet of fat quarter squares that I thought might be neat to play around with. And by "play around with," I mean "send to my quilting grandmother and see what fabulous thing she makes with them." :) Love you, Grandma!


Well, I think she outdid herself this time! She took my squares (the plain ones) and mixed them with a fancy pattern she found. I think it looks absolutely gorgeous! And you can get analytical and argue that it shows how the opulent Japan is so often mixed with the simple Zen Japan in everyday life. (haha, I was an IB kid, remember? I learned how to obfuscate!) Or you can just sit back and look at the pretty. :)


I think my favorite part is the black-on-black fabrics that Grandma used for the background and backing. I love those "not black" and "not white" fabrics! They add such depth and texture to the piece.

No comments: