Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Kuh nitt tang? Wha's dat?

Oh my word, I bet you all are sick and tired of my posting pictures of the new townhouse, Harvey, Harvey in the new townhouse... etc. Well, since Mom took Polly Gizmo away, I have had some free time to knit! Don't even try to knit with a small kitten in the house. It won't end well.

Well, here I go - knitting something for me! and pretty too! I have bitten the bullet and taken the plunge and all those other bold metaphors and started something for myself. :) Gifts can wait.

Pattern: Plymouth Yarn, Galway Worsted #1574, "Jacket" (more a cabled cardigan, really)
Yarn: Cascade Venezia Worsted, 70/30 merino/ silk blend, color 161 (teal / peacock blue)

The early stages. The left picture is fairly accurate on color.




Look, Ma, I made a vest!

1 - I LOVE THIS YARN! It is so pretty and so nice to work with. The silk adds a little shine to the material and makes it look extra fancy. (Side note: KnitWits had a sample of this in the original Galway wool, and I don't think I am being modest when I say that mine is prettier. The wool made it a rough jacket, and mine is a sleek cardigan.)

2 -I apparently am incapable of knitting a pattern exactly as it says. Is that a bad thing? Well, for this one, I was in-between sizes, so I needed to alter the cable pattern a little as I only needed to add a few stitches and not a whole pattern repeat. Then, I wanted to make it all in one piece (minus the sleeves of course) to minimize seaming at the end. So what does your dorky friend do, but pull out an Excel spreadsheet and "knit" up the sweater on the computer so she can see where to add stitches and how to do the shaping in one piece. I am such an over-achiever, but I REALLY did not want to seam this whole thing together. Afterthought: I might have made it harder for me, but see the previous sentence. :)

Screen-capture of my Excel knitting graph

3 - Sleeve #1 is about to be finished! I am just working on the shoulder cap now. And to go with thought #2, I made the sleeves long-sleeves rather than that weird 3/4 length. I like 1/2 sleeves and long sleeves, but 3/4 always is weird to me. I am hoping that the school's air conditioner goes into overtime shortly so I can wear my new sweater when I am done! Yay!

No comments: