Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Purses

I have had a few requests for the pattern for the Thirty-One skirt purse slipcovers, and honestly, I have been trying to figure out where the boundary of copyright infringement lies.  I know I joked about that earlier, but I don't wan to be helping people hurt a company that I like.  If you are going to make a few covers for yourself, maybe some as a gift, I have no problems with you using my pattern.  However, there will be a special hell waiting for you if you use my pattern to sell covers on eBay.  I do not allow permission for that.  I personally do not own this pattern, nor do I make money off of it; neither should you!  (end of legal disclaimer)

Admittedly, this pattern is pretty fast and loose.  I opened the seams of a skirt cover that I bought, and then traced it out on paper before transferring to the PVC.  I really do just wing it each time I make a new cover.  (Sorry to those who were expecting detailed instructions.)  But, I've measured out my pattern for you, and it should be fairly easy to recreate onto your own piece of paper.

I know not all the measurements add up (since when does 14.75 + 1.75 + 1.75 = 18?!), but that is what my pattern says.  Don't worry about it; the seam allowances are pretty big (more like 3/8in than 1/4in) and it doesn't have to be a perfect fit.  (The small black dashes in the corners in the picture are the seam allowances.)  I often trim the cover down a bit to make it more snug on the purse; I don't like it to be baggy.

Extra Notes:  I have found that plain ol' quilters cotton (such pretty patterns!) works well with fusible interfacing on the backside.  A stiffer material is easier to form into the right shape and also will be more durable and long-lasting.  I also haven't added any hook/ bars fasteners to my covers.  I try to make the top opening a little snug and just count on the magic of friction to keep it on.  (I also don't feel like going through a pack of fasteners for each cover.)

Basic Instructions:
1. Sew bottom seam.
2. Sew up side seams.
3. Fold bottom corners and sew seams.  Congratulations! You now have a basic bag!
* Check for fit on your bag - adjust side seams if cover is "baggy."  Measure how "tall" your cover is on the purse; you may need to cut down the top corners if they are too high.
4. Fold (tiny!) seam allowances in top corners and sew seams around notched corner
* Check for fit again.  Measure how much to fold top seam down.
5. Fold top and sew seam.  Run second line of stitching for strength.
6. Add bars (4 on each side) if desired.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Thank you! I just commented on another post about requesting the pattern and lo and behold I kept ohhing and awwing at your blog and found it! Don't worry, I'm only making a few for my sister (and not even selling them to her). So, thank you again!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for an easy to follow tutorial. I have made a few skirts for my purse and I use safety pins for the hooks! Way cheaper and no one sees them anyway!