Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Question...

Do I have a sign on my back that says, "Take my stuff"?  I cannot remember a time when I had something stolen from me* in more than a quarter century on this earth (*a time when I know it was stolen, not just when I misplaced it and thought someone took it), and yet in the last three weeks, I've had my credit card number stolen and now someone at the gym took my headphones.  I'm pretty pissed off to say the least. 

And I'm not mad because of the financial reasons of having to replace the stolen items... because I haven't really lost anything of great value; I don't have to replace a TV or a car.  But that is exactly why I'm mad: who really goes out of their way to steal low-in-value items?  I mean, a pair of nice headphones can be had for only $20; if you're pinching pennies, I think Wal-Mart stocks some for $10 (They actually have some for $7.11).  So, seriously? A whopping eight dollars after tax?  If that person at the gym today came up to me and asked for money to buy headphones, I probably would have given him some.  But no.  The jackass has to take mine, now I get to spend the time and effort to replace them.  Was he purposefully thinking of inconveniencing me?


Additional information that makes the situation even more confusing:
--The thief at the gym moved aside my prescription sunglasses and unplugged the headphones from my smart phone in order to take them.  Really?  You passed over two expensive items to steal a pair of headphones? 
--Would you take someone else's IN THE EAR headphones?  I mean, that's a little gross. I'm not saying that my ears are full of crusty nastiness, but I wouldn't want to stick something in my ear that has been in someone else's ear. (blech!)
--I live in s VERY strong Christian town and my headphones were taken from the YMCA.  Is there a special hell for people who break a Commandment... in the Bible Belt... while in a building with "Christian" in the name?  Just askin'.



.... I WANT TO FEEL SAFE AGAIN, YOU JERKS!! I want to think that there are good people in the world and that not EVERYbody is out to get what they can, no matter what happens to others.  I want to believe that I can leave my stuff in a cubby at the gym and not get ripped off.  I want to think that people are good and nice and friendly, and that they are not two-faced, selfish bastards.  And most importantly, I want to kick the headphone thief right in the nuts!  (Or, not to be sexist, I want to pop the female thief right on the nose.)

No comments: