Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Resolve and Revolve

NEW YEARS RESOLUTION! I'm not one to write down resolutions in a diary and keep track of them throughout the year, but I do like to think of things I want to do differently / change / enact in the upcoming year. And maybe if I publish them then I will be more inclined to remember them and work on them! So here goes.

1 - Work out consistently…not constantly, but consistently. Everyone has those ten vanity pounds, and I am no exception. But I am trying to save my ego by making it a “fitness” goal and not a “weight loss” goal so that I don’t become obsessive about a pound or two. I’ve been pretty good since last November about going to the gym; I was in a panic because I gained 10lbs since moving in with John, and needed to fit into Victoria’s bridesmaid’s dress at the end of December. Though I admit that I got into a rut after the wedding-- I mean, as far as “fitness” resolutions go, I started mine in November, and given that most people taper of sometime in March or so, that puts my taper point in January. AND, I was prepping for a specific event, and that event had passed, so motivation was low. But I believe that my brief stumble is acceptable – provided that I get back up and keep on trucking. Which I believe that I am capable of. (I have a possible Weight Watchers joining date if I can’t get back on track by myself)

2 - Find satisfaction / advancement / self-actualization in my job. I don't know what that means yet, but I think the honeymoon period, but I think the honeymoon period is officially over, and I don’t want to be one of those people who quits after a few months because they can’t hack it. Step #1 is to re-apply for a salary position (salary rather than hourly; we don’t go by “part-time vs. full-time” because I am working just as much as the “full-time” salaried people, I just don’t get benefits or vacation time). I’ve got a few more months until my arbitrarily-decided date to re-apply, and hopefully it’ll succeed in the first application. If not, I’ll wait a few more months and try again. Hopefully, if they reject me, they can tell me what I need to do to make myself desirable to have as a salary employee so I don’t waste my time continually reapplying without knowing what they want me to change.

3 - I have a secret goal for the year that I don’t want to broadcast. There’s just something that I want to have happen in a sooner-rather-than-later way.

4 - Pare down some of the yarn stash. I’ve got yarn that is meant for very specific projects that I just need to get started on. The puppy helps me realize that I have too much yarn because every time she comes to visit, that damn dog runs upstairs and finds a new ball of yarn to destroy (thankfully, none of it has been the good stuff…yet). But if I get some of the “waiting” yarn used up, then there’ll be no way she can destroy it! haHA, dog!

5 - Become a real, independent adult. I feel like I’ve been faking it for a while, but this year, I have to pay my own taxes and my car payment is being transferred from mom’s name to mine. So now I will have a car loan, a student loan, an IRA, and taxes to manage all on my own—if that is not the definition of a real adult, I don’t know what is. Also, John has been mentioning apartments every now and then, so there might be a rent bill added to my list of grown-up responsibilities.

No comments: