Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Though I have never been big on the whole Valentine’s Day celebration, I truly wish you all a Happy Valentine’s Day. I have been cynical for far too long, so to spare you the standard rants, I will sum up: blah blah blah, Hallmark just wants your money, blah blah blah, what about the single people, blah blah blah, gonna hijack a truck full of chocolates and eat myself stupid.

There, done.

However, I do have a fairly fresh (I think) rant about Valentine’s Day: Why do you need one specific day to say that you love someone? If you truly care about a person, you should sound like a crazy stalker and tell them every chance you get that you love them and that they are important to you. Disregarding the fact that I work with high school kids who weren’t hugged enough as children, you should never delay telling someone that you care. You don’t know who will be hit by a bus tomorrow (not to sound morbid, but it’s true). You don’t know who is going through a depressed time right now, and your little “you are special to me” could mean the world to them. You just don’t know how much you matter to someone else, so start the trend and tell them how much they matter to you.

So don’t delay or make excuses. Just tell someone you love them. Hell, tell them you appreciate them or whatever verb you want to use, if you are commitment-phobic. Just tell them.

(And if you must know, John and I are planning to be lazy this Saturday. He says: can my Valentine’s present be playing games all day? So I gave the boy what he asked for.)

No comments: