Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

New Knitting!


I know, I know, I've broken my new-found rule (no more new projects until I finish some old ones), but I have been staring at some new yarn that Lara sent me and reeeeeeeally wanting to make something not meant for winter weather (my two "old projects" are a heavy cardigan and a pair of gloves).  I hate making things and then having to put them away for several months before I can wear them.


Lara's yarn has been staring at me and I have put off making anything with it because I have not found a pattern (that's not a scarf) that only needs around 500yds total.  But then, enter Classic Elite Yarn's Four Season Vine Lace Vest.  Light and summery, and exactly 500 hundred yards!  Yay!  Thus, new yarn plus finding a usable pattern equals Anne not being able to wait to start a new project.  I am so very weak-willed.  :(

         
Look! I can do a mattress stitch without it looking like total butt!  Woohoo!


      

I have now officially finished the sweater ("officially" means I actually have woven in all the ends.  Haha!). Go me!  I am excited about finally making something for me that I can wear.  :)  This sweater was pretty easy to make and I was able to whip it up fairly quickly without it having to be one of those "I need to work at least an hour every night or it will never be finished" projects.  I highly recommend the free pattern from Classic Elite.

Yarn:  Araucania "Ruca,"  100% sugar cane  (how cool is sugar yarn?!?!)
     263yds per 100g
     Colorway #6 (pale blue & grey mixed)


In the fairness of full disclosure:
- I used a DK yarn meant for US4-6 needles; the pattern called for US9.  I used US6 on the ribbing like I was told, but dropped to a US8 for the pattern and made the size 40inch to fit my ~37inch self.
- Pattern called for 515yds & I had 526yds.  I still have a handful left over; I haven't measured it yet, but I feel like it is more than 10yds.  But...
- None of the ribbing is as long as it "should" be.  The waist ribbing is shorter because I was worried about  running out of yarn, so it is only 3in long instead of 3.25in, and the neck ribbing is 2.75in rather than 4.25in.  I was planning on doing the neck ribbing until I just ran out of yarn, but John said I should stop there as it looked good.  Thus the left-over yarn, I guess.
- I was not expecting it to be a crop sweater (for some reason, I didn't notice that from the picture), but I really like it.  It hits me right where it should and makes my waist look tiny!  :)
- My sleeves are different lengths!  :(   One side is a row longer in the ribbed cuff than the other side.  I know about it and I was too lazy to fix it.  John promised me that no one would be able to tell while I was wearing it.  (What does Grandma say?  "It'll never be seen on a galloping horse!")

No comments: