Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Monday, November 3, 2008

V is for...

V is for Vendetta! No really, V is for Virginia! I am that weird Navy brat who never remembers moving once in her life. Both Lara and I were born in Newport, RI... then we got bounced between Jacksonville and Orlando, Fl a few times... then we moved to Virginia Beach. My first memory is our first meal in that house- we used my kindergarten napping mat for a table (no furniture yet) and we ordered KFC.

So, Dad finished his ship duty time stationed there, and we stayed when he went to shore duty. When he retired, we thought we were gonna move, but he found a job still in the Beach. For me, moving to Lynchburg is the first time I've packed up and moved all of my worldly possessions. It was a weird feeling, moving out of the only house I have ever called "Home."

You know what else is weird? - this whole "Virginian" thing. I mean, Virginia is definitely a Southern state (Robert E Lee, anyone?), but I grew up in a predominantly military town. We had people from all over the globe to grow up with. I always referred to my Southern-isms as "latent" because they really only came out when I was compared to a Northerner. However, Lynchburg is definitely NOT military and definitely IS country. I feel like this big-city girl sometimes, especially when I see some of the rednecks that live out here. I was picking up some take-out the other day after work (i.e., dress pants, nice shoes, professional top), and the first thing the waiter asks me is if I was from around here! It's weird that only a few hours inland and the whole area changes so drastically.

No comments: