Knitty Batty

Started to show friends a new pair of shoes, but expanded to include updates on my knitting and important events, as well as ramblings on life, the universe, and everything. (If you can't see a picture, click on it to make it bigger!)

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mom's Hat

Catching up on posting pictures of finished projects:

This is Mommy's first hat I made for her. It's on Scarlet Fleece's sock yarn in color "Horizon." (They have moved their production center, though, so Horizon is not as saturated now. We believe the change in water from one place to another changed how the dye adhered to the yarn. Weird, I know, but it means that this is essentially a discontinued color since they can't get it this dark anymore.) We like Scarlet Fleece partly because they have great yarn, and partly because they are local! Well, Powhatan, VA is about as local as you can get since we are in a big metro area. It's hard to raise sheep in suburbia. :)

This was also Mom's first occurrence of "subtly" picking out what she wanted me to knit for her. :) She saw the colors and loved them (Mommy is very earth tones), and she wanted a hat that was small enough to shove in a coat pocket in case you needed it. Funny story about that: when we took our Floridian aunt to First Night in Williamsburg, she kept laughing at us because she ended up with three hats and a scarf shoved in the pockets of the coat we loaned her. "Why do I feel like I am the size of a bus? ...Oh, because I have a dozen winter accessories shoved in here with me!"


And because I spoil my boyfriend, I have to spoil my mother as well. She saw me putting an alpaca lining in a wool hat I made John (to protect against the itchiness of wool), and she comes trotting out with her hat and asked for a lining too. "Just an inch or so, not too much" was what she wanted to provide extra warmth for her ears. :)

(please ignore my pasty white arm caught in a glaring camera flash)

No comments: